Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Eating damo

When my sis and I were young, we did a lot of "pretend play". Instead of faking the lives of princesses or queens living in grandiose castles, we pretended we were living in the slums (that's what you get for watching a LOT of Pinoy TV in the 80's). I would be a labandera or a jeepney driver's wife (with 8 kids) and she would be some destitute laborer or something with a good-for-nothing-husband. Anyway, we would pretend we were eating grass instead of the juicy, red yummy Purefoods hotdog we would be served for breakfast or some lousy root vegetable found on the street (yes, it had to be FOUND on the street) instead of oh-so-crispy bacon I'd devour as my first meal. It must have been a pathetic sight--believe me--and I'm sure whoever witnessed that weird make-believe session rolled their eyes till no end. So, I thought of those days when I had these for my snack earlier today:
did i finish this plate?


Yup, for the love of Piccolo, that's baked kale chips and sweet potato I had there. Correction: BURNT kale chips and soggy kamote. I wanted a nutrition-packed snack but I guess didn't read the fine print that it would also taste like freaking brittle dead leaves  (and smell like F*rt) and wet paper. haha!  So did I finish the plate? I so did (slathering soggy paper/potato with non-fat butter). I guess I have to search this blog or good ol' Martha's for more non-toxic recipes! I couldn't help but smile imagining what my 4 year old self would have thought if she knew her older self would eat the very gross things she fake-ate before!

2 comments:

  1. V, do Piccolo a favor and eat bacon please. No damo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is kind and beautiful big sister you are talking about? Is she the one you tricked about seeing play doh like items in the mall even before it was created?!?!? Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete