Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Sunny-day killers!

If you live in a freaking cold place like I do (ahem..today's temp: O degrees), sunny days are God-sent. And I mean, really prayed-for, blessings from up above. My pulse quickens, I scramble for decent clothes and within five seconds have thought of where to explore, where the sunscreen is and yeah, tell a living soul (a.k.a. husband) my plans!:) Lately though, Vancouver's lovely sunny days have been wasted on me because of these two culprits:




That's what I get for getting such great books from our lib! I've lamented the fact that SF's Public Library is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay, 2,000 times better than Vancouver's but lately the choices have been a lot better so I am now a convert.

First book's really thrilling and the twist is awesome! I swear I literally had to alarm and un-snooze my phone just so I could ration off my reading. The story's about a mom who's suddenly thrust in a major murder thingy (amazon.com has better reviews, ok!haha) because of a look-alike. It's interesting and heartwarming and a character featured was the worst mom ever (which gave me an insight on what NOT to be!!!).

Next one by Curtis Sittenfeld (she's a girl btw) was the MAJOR KILLER of the two. I could not move away from the bed/couch/lounge chair whatever and I admit, I was still thinking of what was going to happen next while at mass or at COSTCO (it's THAT GOOD since COSTCO is my happy place). It's not a mystery or anything like the first book and it's totally fictional but it's oh-so-juicy! It's supposed to be a fictional life story of a US first lady who is 98% like Laura Bush!haha! I was super imagining her while gobbling up the pages so that made it more interesting.  When I lived in the States, I often wondered what the H was going on her head while her hubby did all those horrendous booboo's (I did watch Fahrenheit 911 after all!!!) and this offered a good insight.

Speaking of Bush, I remember how when OBAMA won, we heard cheering--wild and manic celebrations--on the streets of SF! I got goosebumps and felt like I was witnessing part of American history (ok, a very very small part). And of course the "BUSH" street sign (we lived perpendicular to BUSH St. in SF then) was vandalized and now displayed a hastily scrawled "OBAMA". Ok I digress...as usual!

I was super sorry to get to last pages of these books! I hope I score great titles again soon! <3

1 comment:

  1. Oooh I want to read The Wrong Mother, that tagline is nakaka-intriga ha!

    ReplyDelete